Checking In: Dream Island Hotel, Santorini

A family-run hotel, Dream Island Hotel in Santorini is a Cycladic-style property, overlooking the Aegean Sea, in Fira. I arrived on a Monday night, at about 8pm, and Konstantina, a young lady, picked me up at the airport. The guy that arrived with her politely took my luggage for me and loaded it into the car, then drove us over.

Inside the car, Konstantina briefly introduced facts and information about Santorini to me. I looked out and saw dim lights and a dark Santorini. Surely this was a different impression from the sunny, light-filled Santorini of shades of blue and white from photos, but we shall see about that.

Arriving at Dream Island Hotel

After checking me in, Konstantina brought me to my room. It was rather dark around, and to my surprise, she told me I was the only guest for that night! Being January and winter in Santorini, there weren’t many tourists on the island. The hotel will only have more guests the next night onwards.

As much as I was brave enough to fly to Santorini on my own, I sure hadn’t expected to be the only occupant in a hotel, gasps. My eyebrows naturallylifted in subdued surprise. Konstantina proceeded to show me that her family occupies a unit just a few doors away from my room, which was a relief to me.

All the fears (burglars, the supernatural, insufficient hot water) that had originally arisen automatically in my head turned out unfounded, because nothing unfortunate happened. I took a quick hot shower and had a good sleep. After all, it had been a long way (three flights over 14 hours + another 9.5 hours layover) here from Singapore.

I woke up too early the first morning, and quietly opened my room door to this breathtaking view.

A post shared by Kristine🌟Petite Wanderess (@thepetitewanderess) on

Too incredible, gosh. After snapping a photo, my paranoia still got the better of me so I timidly closed the door again, when I should have stood out there and watched the sunrise. Half an hour later, I opened the door to this sunrise. It was so beautiful!

sunrise at hotel | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite WanderessBy then, I think I love this hotel already, and of course, look forward to what Santorini has in store for me beyond this hotel!

Dream Island Hotel Review

Hotel Room Amenities

The room is equipped minimally, but it has everything you need. It comes with a flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, a wardrobe with a safebox secured inside, electric kettle (you’re advised to not drink the tap water in Santorini), shower lotions etc. The aircon has a heater function, which is definitely useful for winter.

When it got too cold one morning, Konstantina came over and switched on the radiator heater in the room. I didn’t encounter any issues with hot water for the tap and shower, though the hot water might take a while to arrive (let the taps run first). WIFI was strong enough for me to do work adequately in the room (downloading large files will take longer).

My room was cleaned and towel replenished every morning.

hotel bedroom | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

Swimming Pool

There’s an outdoor pool for use during summer. It was winter when I was there, so the water had been drained out.

Veranda

My room came with a small veranda / outdoor area that faces the sea. I imagine it would be rather a delightful experience to sit out here in summer, to watch the views as well as soak in the sun! So I tried to emulate the experience, albeit it being winter. I got my laptop out one late afternoon and sat there, trying to do some work like a digital nomad, but it was really too cold😅 Besides, there’s no way I could ignore the magnificent view ahead!

For some rooms, the outdoor area is a small balcony instead.

little patio area outside hotel room | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderesslittle patio area outside hotel room | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

Breakfast

hotel pantry & restaurant | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess
breakfast at a cave-like space!

On the first morning, since I was the only hotel guest, the staff cooked breakfast separately for me. There was more than enough food than I could finish! Really happy for the hospitality of Dream Island Hotel’s owners and staff  😀

breakfast | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess
they served me so much bread, pastries and sandwich
egg omelette | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess
omelette with ham and cheese

On the other mornings with other guests around already, it was buffet breakfast. I always head out only after having a hearty breakfast at the hotel.

blue doors | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite WanderessHotel Grounds

This is a beautiful hotel, and I take a walk around every morning, after finishing breakfast.

hotel grounds & sea view | breakfast | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

hotel rooms | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess
The units with red doors are Dream Island Hotel units. My room was the one that staircase led directly to.

view from hotel grounds | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

Security

entrance | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess
Dream Island Hotel is actually a rather open place without gates and such, but Santorini is generally a safe place. The hotel room doors are opened by good old keys, not swanky key-cards.

If you really need help, you can always walk over to the hotel owners’ unit within the hotel grounds too, or call their emergency number.

Fantastic Location to Stay At

Dream Island Hotel is located within 10 minutes’ walk from the main square of Fira, where the bus terminal, taxi station, and all the eateries are at, so that makes it a very accessible. Over at the square, you can visit the museum, have lunch or snacks, take a walk for excellent views, take the cable-car down to the port, or catch a bus to visit the postcard-perfect Oia and catch the famous Santorini sunset there.

You can also walk to another town – Imerovigli – from the hotel. If I didn’t remember wrong, it’s about a 20-25min walk in the opposite direction of Fira.

Also read: Guide to Santorini in winter!

Free Airport Transfer

Dream Island Hotel‘s staff will contact you after you have made a booking (I booked through Booking.com), to arrange to pick you up at the airport when you arrive. Konstantina, the daughter of the hotel-owners, picked me up when I reached on Monday night, while her Dad sent me to the airport when I left on Saturday morning. This service is kindly offered by them free of charge, and much appreciated when I’m travelling solo!

entrance | Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

I had a really comfortable stay being a solo traveller on this island. Hope you find this hotel review helpful for your next Santorini stay!

Check rates for Dream Island Hotel at via Bookings.com today!


Stayed: Jan 2016
Address: Fira Santorini, Φηρά Θήρας 847 00, Greece
Tel: +30 2286 024122
Website: dreamisland.gr • TripAdvisor reviews • Bookings.com
Follow my footsteps on social media!
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest
Facebook

• How it REALLY was like to travel solo in Santorini
• Photo Diary: Ode to Santorini’s shades of blue
• Chasing the Santorini sunset alone
• All you need to know about visiting Santorini during low season (January)

Review: Dream Island Hotel, Fira, Santorini • The Petite Wanderess

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Successful Entrepreneurs Talk Travel: Away luggage’s Steph Korey and Jen Rubio